TCM vs RAW Placenta Encapsulation Prepairation
The most common question from a mom who is just learning about placenta encapsulation is, “Should I choose TCM or RAW?” Here is a brief description of the difference in the preparation methods and “mother know best”! A lot of the times, mom will have a feeling that one will work better for her and at Atlanta Placenta, we always honor that innate knowing!
The TCM style of preparing for placenta encapsulation is inspired by the Traditional Chinese Medicine method that involves cleaning the placenta, gently heating the placenta with lemon, cayenne pepper and fresh ginger and then dehydrating the placenta before it is put into capsules. Using this preparation is thought to bring out the placentas healing and tonifying properties. In the TCM theory, it is believed that the process of birth (no baby on the inside and blood loss) leaves mom very yin or cold. One way to help this is to add yang energy or heat energy. We do this through the gentle steaming process along with the warming herbs. The placenta is not cooked so it retains all of its nutrients. The TCM method also provides a slow/ steady release of energy helping mom to stabilize in the postpartum period. This method usually produces fewer pills and may require that mom take more pills for a longer period of time. (Please note that I am not a TCM practitioner. My placenta encapsulation process is inspired by the TCM methods.)
The RAW method of preparation skips the heating and herbal process altogether. Raw food activists believe that steaming the placenta destroys some of the essential nutrients. Using this option provides a burst of energy upfront and great hormone stabilization. This method will provide mom with the most amount of pills possible and they will be very potent which mom would be able to take fewer pills each day.
Putting part of your placenta in tincture form is another way to stretch out its longevity. A small portion of placenta is added to >100 proof alcohol and set to ferment for 6 weeks. Some of the benefits include hormone stabilization in your postpartum cycles, less bleeding during those cycles, energy and for menopause years down the road. ANY BLOOD RELATIVE can also benefit from placental tincture.
The placenta encapsulation process includes:
- Thorough sanitization of work space and all equipment. Strict OSHA standards are observed.
- Carefully rinsing and cleaning the placenta of extra blood, clots, or any debris.
- Trimming the cord, which is dehydrated in as a birth keepsake.
- Steaming the cleaned placenta for 20 minutes until it reaches the proper internal temperature. (for TCM only)
- Slicing the placenta thinly.
- Drying in a dehydrator that is reserved specifically for placentas. Time may vary from 18-24 hours.
- Grinding the dehydrated strips into a fine powder in a grinder that completely disassembles for through sanitization and is reserved specifically for placentas.
- Filling capsules with powder, placing in containers and printing dosing instructions.
- Sanitization of all equipment and work space.
At Atlanta Placenta, your safety is our top priority. All placentas are processed in a completely sanitized work space. All of our equipment has been carefully chosen to completely disassemble and maintain the integrity of the placenta. We also maintain our schedule so that only 1 placenta is present at a time so you are guaranteed that it is your placenta your are getting back.
The information on this page has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The services I offer are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition. Families who choose to utilize the services on this page take full responsibility for researching and using the remedies.